Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: george on August 06, 2003, 10:30:03 AM

Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: george on August 06, 2003, 10:30:03 AM
I have installed Os 10.2.6 on my other m/c a beige g3 and it does not see the floppy drive (it did with os 9.2.2) should it?
George.
 wallbash.gif
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: Paddy on August 06, 2003, 10:57:12 AM
OS X doesn't see floppy drives. However there are hacks/drivers available.

See:

http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/

A bit more info:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/03...321123331.shtml
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: george on August 06, 2003, 11:37:13 AM
Paddy, thanks for the links................will investigate.
George
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: nrowe on August 06, 2003, 11:40:28 AM
OK so I clicked on both links but did not find the floppu driver for OS X Jaguar. Where is it? wub.gif
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: kelly on August 06, 2003, 12:27:59 PM
I've heard bad things about trying those hacks. smile.gif

Me. I'd boot into OS 9.x and transfer the Files. smile.gif
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: gmann on August 06, 2003, 12:47:36 PM
That is strange. My Imation super drive is plug and play in X.  I did not have to load drivers or do any tweaks. It uses 1.44 and 120 Meg floppies.
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: Paddy on August 06, 2003, 05:55:10 PM
The external floppies are a different species and don't have this problem in OS X.

Given the somewhat ominous warnings about the hacks, I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Kelly. After all, how often do you really need a floppy these days? In my house, I simply either send them via file-sharing on the network/ftp or if they're for someone else - email works nicely for small files. I haven't used one on my Macs for over two years now. PeeCees are a different story...all those darned drivers... tongue.gif
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: ljocampo on August 06, 2003, 06:07:53 PM
There is a universal drive out there and it isn't a hack.  I can't seem to remember the name though, but I've seen it mentioned on MacFixIt.  Do a search for universal drivers.
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: krissel on August 06, 2003, 11:52:15 PM
From what I've read about these, they can work but are almost always intolerably slow. Many users say it is faster to boot back to 9 , do what you have to and return to X.
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: george on August 07, 2003, 08:44:48 AM
Hi Nrowe, like you, darned if I could find floppy drivers.
methinks I'll follow the ' Guru of all Gurus' (Kelly) advice and boot into OS 9
Thanks to you all for the advice given.
George.
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: kelly on August 07, 2003, 09:47:13 AM
Not so. blush-anim-cl.gif

I think that title would have to be applied to tacit.

krissel agreed also. smile.gif
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: george on August 07, 2003, 12:49:30 PM
Kelly,
All for one and one for all.

 thanx.gif again.
George
Title: Floppy drive ?
Post by: FLASH1296 on August 12, 2003, 11:04:12 AM
My  EXTERNAL USB  floppy drive   works  perfectly under  O S 10.2.6