Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Tech => Topic started by: jchuzi on November 13, 2020, 04:57:19 PM

Title: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 13, 2020, 04:57:19 PM
Let me say, at the outset, that I have never upgraded to a new OS until it has gone through at least two updates, and I don't intend to start now. However, I request that any foolhardy brave souls among TSers post their reactions if they do, indeed, take the plunge.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 13, 2020, 05:30:32 PM
You seem to assume that they would still be able to communicate electronically with their hardware! I'm sure you are aware that making "assumptions" are dangerous in and of themselves :coolio: :Thinking: :blink:!
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 13, 2020, 05:41:52 PM
I assume that you are correct.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jwboyd on November 13, 2020, 06:47:57 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner advised me to wait until at least the second update. As I understand it, CCC will work with Big Sur but clones will not be bootable unless you reinstall CCC after you upgrade. Did I get that right?
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 13, 2020, 07:22:31 PM
From an email received from Mike Bombich:

macOS Big Sur and Carbon Copy Cloner backups
Apple will be shipping a major new operating system in the near future, and I wanted to take a moment explain how this change affects your CCC backups.

We recommend waiting for a few updates before upgrading to Big Sur because important components of the OS aren't working yet.
Early adopters can install macOS Big Sur onto the CCC backup volume to make it bootable.
What's changing in Apple's next OS upgrade?
With the announcement of macOS Big Sur, Apple has retired Mac OS X (10) and replaced it with macOS 11. As with every OS since the original release of Mac OS X, CCC has been adapted to accommodate the changes to this new OS. As the numeric change would suggest, though, this is the biggest change to macOS since Apple introduced Mac OS X roughly 20 years ago.

The system now resides on a "Signed System Volume". This volume is cryptographically sealed, and that seal can only be applied by Apple; ordinary copies of the System volume are non-bootable without Apple's seal. To create a functional copy of the macOS 11 System volume, we have to use an Apple tool to copy the system, or install macOS onto the backup.

 
Will CCC 5 work on macOS 11 or will I have to upgrade?
CCC 5.1.22 is qualified for use on macOS Big Sur, and that update is free for all CCC 5 license holders. Choose "Check for updates…" from the "Carbon Copy Cloner" menu and follow the instructions provided to apply the update.

 
Can CCC copy the macOS 11 System volume?
CCC will be able to use Apple's APFS replication utility ("ASR") to copy the System volume (we field-tested that functionality for the flawed 10.15.5 update). As of the latest Big Sur release, however, Apple's APFS replication utility is not working correctly with the Signed System Volume. As a result, ASR-created copies of the System volume are not bootable. Apple is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it.

 

Can I still make bootable backups on macOS 11?
Yes. There are two approaches to making your backups bootable on Apple's new OS. When Apple works out the problems in its APFS replication utility in an future update to macOS Big Sur, CCC will leverage that directly to copy the System volume and produce bootable backups. In the meantime, you can install macOS Big Sur onto your APFS-formatted CCC backup volume if you would like to make it bootable.

 

Does CCC back up all of my data, applications, and system settings?
Yes, absolutely. This part of CCC has not changed — CCC continues to provide complete backups of all of your data, applications, and system settings. Additionally, CCC offers support for snapshots, giving you access to older versions of your files. We design CCC to be a complete and more flexible replacement to Time Machine.

 

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?
No. Bootability is a convenience that allows you to continue working if your startup disk fails, but it is not required for restoring data from a CCC backup. You can restore individual folders and older versions of files (i.e. from snapshots) using CCC while booted from your production startup disk. CCC backups are also compatible with Migration Assistant, so you can use Migration Assistant to restore all of your data to a clean installation of macOS (e.g. on a replacement disk).

 

Should I upgrade my Mac to macOS Big Sur?
Major system upgrades are often disruptive, so we have always recommended a very conservative approach to applying them. Consider the following:

Is the upgrade required for my Mac?
Will this upgrade improve the performance of my Mac, or degrade performance?
Does the upgrade provide some functionality that will make me more productive, or otherwise greatly increase my enjoyment of using my Mac?
Does the upgrade fix a problem that is preventing me from effectively using my Mac?
What software will no longer work after applying the upgrade?
If the upgrade turns out poorly and you have to downgrade, you certainly may downgrade using a CCC backup from an earlier OS. These sorts of procedures require time and effort, though, so you should weigh that potential hassle against the potential gain of the OS upgrade.

Lastly, we recommend that any users that rely heavily upon the availability of their Mac for work or other productivity consider waiting for several OS updates before making the upgrade. Early adopters inevitably find some shortcomings and bugs which are resolved in minor OS updates.

 
Related resources
Restoring from a bootable backup
Restoring from a snapshot
Migrating data from a data-only backup using Migration Assistant
Frequently asked questions about CCC and macOS Catalina (many of these are also applicable to Big Sur)
Best practices for updating your Mac's OS
macOS Big Sur Known Issues
We take pride in listening to our customers and strive to continually make CCC better. Do you have suggestions, requests, or questions? Just reply to this email and we'll take a look.

           
Mike Bombich
 Bombich Software Logo
   Share
   Tweet

Copyright © 2020 Bombich Software, Inc., All rights reserved.
You subscribed to the Carbon Copy Cloner newsletter by checking a box when you purchased the software, or you signed up on our website or Facebook page.

Our mailing address is:
Bombich Software, Inc.
PO Box 60753
Longmeadow, MA 01116


Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 13, 2020, 10:19:06 PM
That is Mike's most recent post, but you will notice that he continues to say:
Quote
Lastly, we recommend that any users that rely heavily upon the availability of their Mac for work or other productivity consider waiting for several OS updates before making the upgrade.
I may be retired, but my work on my Mac is productive in keeping me sane (no matter what others may say about me)! :yahoo: I have not yet even tested Catalina, I'm not even thinking of Big Sur. :coolio: I'm still avoiding Apple's "water". The app that I use for my weather data web site has not yet been updated to run on BS. :nono: One brave soul has tried it and confirms that the two don't mix well. I'm with you JW! :yes:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Bruce_F on November 13, 2020, 11:00:44 PM
Well, call me crazy if you like, but I did install Big Sur on my MacBook Pro (16 in., 2019).

I did it mainly because I've been working with Apple for a few months on trying to get my Apple Watch series 5 to unlock the MacBook. It has sporadically worked previously with OS 10.x.x

Two different senior advisors have tried to resolve the issue to no avail. Both advisors gathered data while I took various steps in an attempt to get the watch to unlock the computer so Apple engineers could have something to work with.

The update to OS 11.0.1 was supposed to fix the problem but it actually made it worse. The watch hasn't unlocked the computer even once since Big Sur was installed.

The advisor I'm working with currently said they know some people still have issues and to keep an eye out for more updates.

This whole thing hasn't been the most pleasant thing to go through but Apple did compensate me for all the time I have put in trying to solve the problem. They sent me a HomePod!  :Look:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 14, 2020, 12:10:39 PM
Another pertinent comment from Mr. Bombich:
Quote
Early adopters inevitably find some shortcomings and bugs which are resolved in minor OS updates.

The OS (11.0) was offered 3 days ago and there is now an update (11.0.1)? :wallbash: Enjoy your HomePod.

There is simply no way for Apple to test every hardware combination its users have. Add the possible software to that number and it is just not humanly possible to test all those unique setups. It's no different with Windows (whatever its latest version).

OTOH, you would think that Apple would have a pretty good selection of its own hardware and apps to test...

One day, they may decide that it is more important to release a very compatible and functional OS when it has proven to be one, than to use an arbitrary annual date. But I'm just a customer, what do I know.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 14, 2020, 06:23:55 PM
Here's another thing to watch... I emailed Epson, asking about a printer driver for Big Sur. Their reply (and a heads-up for any Epson owners):

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson SureColor P600. In reviewing your incident, it appears that you have opened one of our online knowledge base articles to help you in resolving this issue.
 
In response to your concern, please be advised that currently, there's no available Epson printer driver for your product for MAC 11.0 and we do not have the exact details to when it will be available.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 15, 2020, 12:40:51 PM
I did some more looking, and found this statement that only Apple Silicon macs are affected (https://www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corporatesite/kb/index/2381). I replied to Epson's original email inquiring about it and will phone Epson if I don't get a reply. Hopefully, my installed Epson driver will work.

I can find out by installing Big Sur on a clone and trying the printer (not to be done anytime soon). In the past, I used Apple's printing software (accessed via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners) and found that many features were missing. Consequently, I only want to use the Epson driver.

If the + signs are clicked to reveal more info, it is stated that a fix should be available by December, 2020.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 15, 2020, 12:55:04 PM
Quote
a fix should be available by December, 2020
I note the lack of any specific continent. :dntknw: :doh: :rofl:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Paddy on November 16, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
Yeah...I'll wait. NOT messing with my backups!! Running Catalina on the iMac and Mojave on the MBP (so I can still use PS 6). Too darn busy with work stuff to do it anyway. This was the case last year with Catalina - and then my iMac died in January, so I was forced to update. Luckily have access to Photoshop & Lightroom via my son's account; otherwise I would have had to subscribe. Or give up on both - which I've also considered. I own Affinity Photo and CaptureOne...it's just the TIME problem!!! Is there a CCC for people? I need it. :toothgrin:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 16, 2020, 01:57:49 PM
Apple's macOS Big Sur may be bricking older MacBook Pro models (https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/16/apples-macos-big-sur-may-be-bricking-older-macbook-pro-models) and one more caveat: Early macOS Big Sur adopters running into teething issues (https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/16/early-macos-big-sur-adopters-running-into-teething-issues)
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 17, 2020, 09:17:21 AM
Here's another thing to watch... I emailed Epson, asking about a printer driver for Big Sur. Their reply (and a heads-up for any Epson owners):

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson SureColor P600. In reviewing your incident, it appears that you have opened one of our online knowledge base articles to help you in resolving this issue.
 
In response to your concern, please be advised that currently, there's no available Epson printer driver for your product for MAC 11.0 and we do not have the exact details to when it will be available.

I phoned Epson and was informed that a driver compatible with Big Sur is now available. It must be installed AFTER upgrading, not before. So, one more hurdle has been overcome in the upgrade.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 17, 2020, 10:21:22 AM
Might I suggest storing a fresh copy of the Catalina drivers/extensions from Epson in case you need to "downgrade". 'jis sayin' :Thinking:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 17, 2020, 10:59:03 AM
Excellent suggestion, as always.  :whoosh:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: kimmer on November 17, 2020, 12:04:12 PM
I wish I'd installed Catalina on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Now they only offer Big Sur.  :tears:
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 17, 2020, 12:18:56 PM
I did a search for a Catalina installer and came up with this (https://www.uubyte.com/download-macos-catalina-dmg.html#2). I have never used this site and can't vouch for its security or safety.

Eureka! Go to this site (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372) and click the link on Catalina. It takes you to App Store. I tried searching App Store previously but had no success.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 17, 2020, 03:04:45 PM
I think you can also install several recent Mac OS's from this Apple page: How to get old versions of macOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683).
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: kimmer on November 17, 2020, 05:16:40 PM
Jon! Thank you!  :yahoo:

I did a search for a Catalina installer and came up with this (https://www.uubyte.com/download-macos-catalina-dmg.html#2). I have never used this site and can't vouch for its security or safety.

Eureka! Go to this site (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372) and click the link on Catalina. It takes you to App Store. I tried searching App Store previously but had no success.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 26, 2020, 10:07:23 AM
For users of Carbon Copy Cloner: Apparently, CCC 5.1.23 is not a beta any longer, despite the headline at Yes, you can have bootable backups on macOS Big Sur (https://bombich.com/blog/2020/11/03/yes-you-can-have-bootable-backups-on-macos-big-sur). When I launched CCC and checked for updates, this new version was listed as available and no mention was made of a beta.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 26, 2020, 11:00:06 AM
Yes, I got an automatic update notice yesterday for 5.1.23 (build 6121). I failed to copy the changes info.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on November 26, 2020, 12:11:03 PM
The major feature for Big Sur users is that CCC can create a bootable clone. Unfortunately, that only works for Intel Macs, not M1. Hopefully, this will be corrected in the future.
Title: Re: Big Sur
Post by: jchuzi on December 19, 2020, 06:01:40 PM
I upgraded to Big Sur today but not without a glitch. I successfully downloaded the upgrade via Software Update but when I ran it, I got a window with no progress bar but nevertheless had an estimate of time remaining to prepare the hard drive. Eventually, it had a message that it was quitting open apps and waiting to restart; this never happened. The computer then went to sleep according to my Energy Saver preferences. I woke the computer, quit Installer, and restarted. Then I ran Installer again, and this time, all went well except that the initial Big Sur screen was faded, and I had to click in the window to make it appear normal. (Naturally, I had updated two clones of Catalina beforehand.)

I will have to get used to the new appearance of Mail and Safari which, initially, I don't like. My wife will issue lots of complaints so I'm bracing for her wrath. My printer software had, for no apparent reason, reverted to Airprint, which I do not want. Consequently, I reset the printing system and reinstalled the Epson driver. I had to redo my presets, but that wasn't a big deal.