Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Tech => Topic started by: Larry on December 13, 2020, 11:44:44 AM

Title: How do i delete an app purchase on my iphone
Post by: Larry on December 13, 2020, 11:44:44 AM
I wanted to scan a QR Code Reader and added one from the App Store, and then a sign appeared that after two days, I have to pay £29.99 = the scanner is useless. So how can I delete it - I have spent around 30 minutes trying. Its daylight robbery. :sos:

iphone 8 14.1
Title: Re: How do i delete an app purchase on my iphone
Post by: Xairbusdriver on December 13, 2020, 02:23:27 PM
I suppose you might be able to get Apple to refund the cost if you can prove there was no "In-App Purchases" text under the "Free" price listed in the App Store. :dntknw: Otherwise, it may be hard to prove "robbery", regardless of the rotation of the Earth. :Thinking: :coolio:

AFAIK, you can easily remove the app from any iDevice. But that doesn't delete it from your account. If you go back to the App Store, you will see that the app is still in your "Purchased" list and you can re-download it for free, assuming no change in your credit rating. :whistling:

To remove an app, simply tap and hold any app's icon. You will soon see an "Remove app" and/or "Edit Home Screen" menu. Tap the small, red "-" on any app icon to remove it from a screen. If you have an older version of iOS, you may not see any menu, but the small, red "-" will still be seen.
Title: Re: How do i delete an app purchase on my iphone
Post by: sluggo on December 16, 2020, 08:48:15 AM
Not sure if it works the same in the UK. But to removing the app is just like Jim says. But I don't  think that simply removing an app from your phone will remove the subscription and therefore the payment. Generally these things are auto renew.
To cancel a subscription go to Settings. At the top of the page you'll see your name. Tap it. Next page scroll down and you should find Subscriptions. There you should find which are active and which are expired and then cancel from there.
But if you never paid in the first place and are simply being asked to pay to unlock features, then the above info all becomes moot. Delete the app and you're done with it.
Title: Re: How do i delete an app purchase on my iphone
Post by: Paddy on December 18, 2020, 02:53:56 PM
Just an FYI - when looking for apps in the App Store, if it says - in teeny type below the "Get" button - "in app purchases" scroll down and LOOK at the In App Purchase section. In every case I've checked so far, they have HEFTY subscription fees. Look for ones with no "in App Purchase" - those appear to be free, or list the price one-time price.

This is ridiculous - apps that have subscriptions attached should be much more clearly marked as such - like the not-free one-time fee ones are!
Title: Re: How do i delete an app purchase on my iphone
Post by: sluggo on December 20, 2020, 08:33:52 AM
Just an FYI - when looking for apps in the App Store, if it says - in teeny type below the "Get" button - "in app purchases" scroll down and LOOK at the In App Purchase section. In every case I've checked so far, they have HEFTY subscription fees. Look for ones with no "in App Purchase" - those appear to be free, or list the price one-time price.

This is ridiculous - apps that have subscriptions attached should be much more clearly marked as such - like the not-free one-time fee ones are!

I guess I haven't had a bad experience with this yet. My perception about "in app purchases" was just that if you used the app, you'd have access to the free features and not the "full" paid version available to you but be bombarded by ads. In some apps I've seen where you actually do have the full version available for a very limited trial period. But you're still hit with all the ads while using.
I'll have to pay closer attention if I ever try any of these again.