Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Tech => Topic started by: jchuzi on September 27, 2026, 08:54:02 AM

Title: VPN caveat
Post by: jchuzi on September 27, 2026, 08:54:02 AM
I personally do not use VPN but those who do should read Millions of Americans are being spied on with shady VPNs available on Apple's App Store (https://appleinsider.com/articles/26/09/23/millions-of-americans-are-being-spied-on-with-shady-vpns-available-on-apples-app-store)
Title: Re: VPN caveat
Post by: Xairbusdriver on September 27, 2026, 10:28:19 AM
Thanks Jon!
I used Nord VPN (I think) several years ago. Never noticed any advantage. SpamSieve works well for Mail. Seldom access anything on the web that I haven't already verified. I, like many, never cared for the idea of some (profit-oriented) entity would actually 'protect' me from anything. Even those 'user-operated' VPN's were based on the honesty of complete strangers. Maybe I'm just basically a distrustful soul! This same attitude strongly influences by concern about billionaires trustworthiness concerning "AI". 🤷🏻‍♂️ 🤔

I'll check the link later today.
Title: Re: VPN caveat
Post by: Xairbusdriver on September 27, 2026, 02:49:21 PM
For some reason I cannot edit my post below. [Error: Messages body contained no text (or some such)]

So...

After reading the linked site:
I guess it comes down to trusting Apple Insider. The actual page reads like an ad for Proton VPN. I didn't see any actual links to the raw data that was used by Proton ("A study conducted by Proton, using AppTweak download data from May and Exodus Privacy tracker counts...").

I think I'll forego testing this VPN. Certainly the data, if verified, is disturbing and unethical, but since I'm not using any VPN, I'm not affected by those problems. Not showing Apple in a positive light, of course, especially if they have been notified of the Proton results.