Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: dakota on September 08, 2003, 07:46:09 PM
-
Currently using G4 733 with four drives, two internal and two firewire. The firewires are a LaCie 20 gig drive which was used as a clone for the main HD when I used OS 9.2. I am now giving this computer to my husband after I transfer everything to the new G5. The LaCie 20 is formatted with Silverlining (Apple utilities could not format this drive when I got it) and I now need to wipe the drive ( it is not an OSX boot drive) and clone the HD onto it for his purposes. I purchased a new LaCie 160 and am using that currently as a clone. I have not touched the 20 gig drive since I switched to Jaguar. I read somewhere that disk utility can now reformat this drive - is that true? When I looked at LaCie's utility updates, I think that is where I noted that Apple's utilities can now do the job. Also, do I assume correctly that I even have to wipe and reformat, since it does have OSX on it, but has never been updated to Jaguar?
-
First. Congratulations on the G5.

Second. You kind of lost me.
Do you want to Format that 20 Gig or not?
If yes. Launch Disk Utility in Jaguar. Select the Drive and the Erase Tab.
It either will or it won't.
If you want to.
I think you could take it out of it's case and do this with the 733 internally.
-
Not sure if I need to format. Right now 10.2.6 is not on that drive. it does not show up as a startup option on that drive, nor does any version of X, even though it is installed. If I want to use it as a clone for the hard drive on the 733, do I need to? I'm planning on leaving Jaguar on this computer instead of reverting to 9.2, which was my original thought. I feel my husband can deal with Jaguar! I was going to wipe everything on it and simply copy over the main HD. What is on that drive now is a copy of what the HD had on it when I was still using 9.2. I have not backed up onto it or used it since.
-
Congrats on your G5!

Which model did you order?
-
1.8. Sitting in its box on my dining room floor!
-
I'm trying to follow your hardware and software moves.
It sounds like you want to run OS 9.2 on the G5?
Please note that the G5 will only run OS 10.2.7, and will never be able to "boot" into 9.
It will run "Classic", but thats a very poor use for the G5!
If you want OS 9 then you should keep the G4!
Performance-wise, run your system off the internal drive and use the external drives for apps, data and scratch disk files.
Have fun!
-
I'm so envious I'm not even talking to you! (Aside from THAT, I don't have an answer anyway. . .)