-
I am confused. I understood that I was NOT to install Disk Warrior unless I had a problem. Now I have this message from my son. Help please. June
"I have never heard of not installing disk repair software. Doesn't make much sense to me. I install Norton's and if it detects some problem I am unaware of, it alerts me before it turns into something worse. Waiting till you have a major problem before you use it seems silly to me. Kind of like not servicing your car until it breaks down. But that's just my opinion. What about optimizing your disk? Doesn't your computer need to have the disk defragmented from time to time? Norton's will do that. I assume Disk Warrior does too. I would read the instructions, and see what the manufacturer suggests."
-
Hi June,
The way I have always used DiskWarrior is to run it from the CD. DiskWarrior has it's own operating system on the disk to startup from because it cannot rebuild a directory on a system that is mounted.
When you start from the DiskWarrior CD, your computer system is idle. DiskWarrior can now do it's job of rebuilding the directory on a system that is not running.
OS X is a different animal than OS 9. The most important routine to stay on top of is running cron scripts and repairing permissions. OS X even runs on a fragmented disk as efficiently as an optimized one, so optimizing is not important like it was in OS 9.
Reserve using utilities to a minimum with OS X. If your computer seems slower than usual, run the cron scripts manually with MacJanitor or Cocktail. If your applications act strangely, run Disk First Aid > Repair Permissions.
If those things don't work, then it's time to bring out the big guns and DiskWarrior has no equal when it comes to rebuilding the system directory.
HTH,
-
Gosh, thankssss Bruce, this is verrry interesting
-
Thank you for your message Bruce..it confirms what I had been told previously by another "expert". I don't know if I have the things you mentioned...MacJanitor, Cocktail, Disk first aid..I know is there but I have never used it. I have had a few minor problems but I have just restarted the eMac and it seems to put things back in order. I have an eMac OSX 10.2.2 Memory 384 MB,Processor 700 MGz power pc g4, so I am well armed..just so much more to learn...and try not to be so afraid of making a mistake. More thanks..this is sure the right place to come for help. June
-
QUOTE(June Drabek @ Sep 11 2003, 8:53 PM)
I have an eMac OSX 10.2.2 Memory 384 MB,Processor 700 MGz power pc g4, so I am well armed..just so much more to learn...and try not to be so afraid of making a mistake.
Don't worry about mistakes June 
OsX itself solves most mistakes for you.
And when in doubt, there's TS, which is just a heaven for us Mac users.
I really mean "heaven" cause not only they come up with answers and/or sollutions, but it's just fun here.
-
Hi June,
Both MacJanitor and Cocktail are available at VersionTracker. You can decide whether to go there and get the software. It's very easy to find any current software by typing in the name of what you're looking for at the top of the VersionTracker page.
I recommend that you get MacJanitor. It runs cron scripts only. Cocktail on the other hand has some tools that should only be used by people who know what they are doing. In the wrong hands, those tools could make a real mess out out of your computer.
One more thing I would recommend is to update your operating system to the latest version. There are many fixes and enhancements that have been added since OS 10.2.2. Besides, if you plan to move to Panther when it becomes available, you'll probably need to be updated anyway.
Panther, it has been said, will make any computer run faster and more efficiently.
-
Yeah...
I used MacJanitor, and while Bruce has a much better technical (software) view on it, i can only tell you that the software is really straight forward.
Only thing... don't forget your administrator's password, you need it in order to run Janitor 
-
mrious_be...Now WHAT is an administrators password ? Life gets so complicated.
-
sorry, hehehe....

It's just your password that you have given to your users account, the one you use to log into your computer 
If you are the owner of that computer, you will be the administrator per definition.
Anless you changed the option from that, but i'm just guessing you didn't, and also anless you don't own the computer and somebody made you an account on that computer.
Gosh, i hope i'm a little clear on this, i might not use the correct english words actually... as i'm a simple Belgian guy
-
mrious be..I don't use my password to log on to my computer..it is just mine, and open to all family members if they so desire. So...I do have a password floating around somewhere..I will have to look for it. Your English is just fine...no problem understanding you, I am just ignorant of computer terms. My in-laws were from Poland, so I heard a great deal of odd terminology, and loved every bit of it. The funniest one of all was my my dear father in law announced that he had been a "polar bear"at a funeral.
-
June. Yeah. Don't install DW.

Not much point. It can't run on the System that it's Started up from.
It would be like trying to lift yourself by your bootstraps.
Whatever they are. 
Up for a little reading?
David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual is pretty handy.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059...7201477-4764105
http://www.davidpogue.com/
-
Thank you Kelly, I have bookmarked both URLs for perusing. I do not order over the Net but I will certainly look for David Pogues book. Right now my mind is foggy...just right for an "old fogey" after a day of frustrations. <BG> Tomorrow is #2 son, his wife, and two grandchildren...so I won't be posting.
-
QUOTE(June Drabek @ Sep 12 2003, 10:29 PM)
mrious be..I don't use my password to log on to my computer..it is just mine, and open to all family members if they so desire. So...I do have a password floating around somewhere..I will have to look for it.
lol @ "polar bear"
Well, i do think, even when you don't log into your own account, that the programs will ask for permission to install items on your computer.
But than again, i'm not sure cause i used the "login" window from the start.
So maybe you can just use it without having to type in an administrators password.
Than again... yup, look for it, you never know 
-
Mrious..It did ask for my password,and I remembered it. I explained it all in another folder...guess I have taken my problem all over the place. Sorry about that....company coming..so I will see you all later. June
-
QUOTE(June Drabek @ Sep 13 2003, 7:01 PM)
Mrious..It did ask for my password,and I remembered it. I explained it all in another folder...guess I have taken my problem all over the place. Sorry about that.
Yeahhh... you did had me wondering about that before 
Cause i saw two simular topics... but that's ok.
Glad it worked out