Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Mrious_be on September 11, 2003, 01:11:14 PM

Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 11, 2003, 01:11:14 PM
http://www.insidemacgames.com/store/?view=product_202

I can't imagine one Mac gamer who isn't waiting for this one biggrin.gif
It's ready to pre-order now, but now minimum specs yet.... i think they will be pretty high, judging at the quality of the XBox game.

smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: amk285nyu on September 12, 2003, 03:43:59 AM
I love the game on Xbox, and I have a few Mac games, but only a mouse to play them with. For Quake 3D arena, that's all I need, but for Halo? I love the Xbox controller. What controllers are there available for Macs (and other PC's, I imagine)?

I simply refuse to play this on my keyboard or with a mouse. Video games like Halo require a dope controller. Got any great links?
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Spartacus on September 12, 2003, 05:16:18 AM
Halo is one of those games I am definitely going to buy.

Should run nicely on my new G5...  B)
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 12, 2003, 10:14:54 AM
QUOTE(amk285nyu @ Sep 12 2003, 10:43 AM)
I simply refuse to play this on my keyboard or with a mouse. Video games like Halo require a dope controller. Got any great links?

 I still like to use a mouse to game with, but you do need one with 3 buttons i think (two buttons and scroll wheel click).
But, as an answer to your question, i think you will find mich help at the hardware section from Inside Mac Games.

smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: kelly on September 12, 2003, 10:25:06 AM
I'll probably get it sooner or later. smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: giantmike on September 12, 2003, 04:04:55 PM
I play a ton of Mac Games (that's why I'm getting a Radeon 9800 in my Dual 2 GHz G5), but I doubt i will buy Halo. Back when Halo was announced (in the 20th century) I was as excited about this game as anybody on the planet. Then it happened. Microsoft bought Bungie and screwed everything up. Delay after delay after delay. Now, Halo 2 is coming soon, and the Mac version still isn't ready.

On top of this, a couple years back, at MacWorld, a Blizzard represenative joined stevo on stage, saying that Halo would be on the Mac, very soon. I don't know about you, but 2+ years isn't "very soon" to me.

Anyhow, if you read some bitterness towards bungie/microsoft, you are reading right. I'll stick to buying games that really support the Mac platform.
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: gmann on September 13, 2003, 01:21:34 AM
QUOTE(amk285nyu @ Sep 12 2003, 1:43 AM)
I love the game on Xbox, and I have a few Mac games, but only a mouse to play them with. For Quake 3D arena, that's all I need, but for Halo? I love the Xbox controller. What controllers are there available for Macs (and other PC's, I imagine)?

I simply refuse to play this on my keyboard or with a mouse. Video games like Halo require a dope controller. Got any great links?

 I have heard rumors that there is an adaptor for Xbox controller to USB, but I have not delved into the matter. If I find one to adapt the mouse and keyboard to Xbox I will jump on it because I prefer the board and mouse combo. I have tendonitis  in my wrist from the left thumb stick. Yes it was caused by Halo.  mad.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 13, 2003, 02:52:18 AM
QUOTE(giantmike @ Sep 12 2003, 11:04 PM)
Anyhow, if you read some bitterness towards bungie/microsoft, you are reading right. I'll stick to buying games that really support the Mac platform.

 I know what you mean with this.
I heard of stories when M$$ just bought companies that didn't wanted to develop for the XBox in first place, now they are not doing anything else anymore.
Very aggresive politic from M$$... i just hate that company.
But than again, i think Bungie is an exception on this.
Sure it took a long time but.... isn't the game worth it and most of all... it shows a little rebel instinct that Bungie just keeps on developping for Mac biggrin.gif
I would hate to see it different cause... man, did i love to play Oni blush-anim-cl.gif

smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 13, 2003, 02:56:59 AM
QUOTE(gmann @ Sep 13 2003, 8:21 AM)
I have heard rumors that there is an adaptor for Xbox controller to USB, but I have not delved into the matter. If I find one to adapt the mouse and keyboard to Xbox I will jump on it because I prefer the board and mouse combo. I have tendonitis  in my wrist from the left thumb stick. Yes it was caused by Halo.  mad.gif

 Owch Gmann sad.gif
Actually, i still love to play with keyboard and mouse the most myself.
Hmmm, i know there's a driver on Versiontracker (and similar sites) for a XBox driver that makes you use the XBox controller on a mac/pc... but that surely isn't what you want.
I also know that XBox has, or will release keyboard (and mouse), just like Playstation will (or has already).
As you see, i'm not sure when that will happen though.
I don't know if there really are drivers put on the XBox, so you can plug in your keyboard and mouse.
Actually, i'm wondering... how do you ever load those drivers on to the gamestation? unsure.gif
I think that any hardware for a gamestation has to have the firmware build in to that hardware it self, and than maybe you can use it on mac/pc offcourse.

got me thinking here huh.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: kelly on September 13, 2003, 10:34:22 AM
FWIW. smile.gif

Using XBox Controller Thread.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/05/20/0...tid=127&tid=186
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Spartacus on September 13, 2003, 12:44:26 PM
I wonder...
is there perhaps a similar open source project for PlayStation controllers? I never liked the XBox controllers and always thought that the PS2 controllers were close to perfection.

[Edit] Of course, one would need an adapter first...
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 13, 2003, 03:05:28 PM
QUOTE(Spartacus @ Sep 13 2003, 7:44 PM)
I wonder...
is there perhaps a similar open source project for PlayStation controllers?

 Well i don't thinks so, and i'm not sure if the XBox is an open project really.
But... as everything M$$, the minute it's released, people are trying to hack into it wink.gif
Anyway, if someone gets interested... a link to the XBox controller Driver on Versiontracker.

smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Spartacus on September 13, 2003, 03:14:08 PM
I wasn't referring to Mircosoft (which is of course NOT an open source project wink.gif), but to the link kelly posted.

smile.gif
Title: Halo: Combat evolves
Post by: Mrious_be on September 14, 2003, 04:38:42 AM
Euhm... yeah, that's what i understood yup wink.gif
I might not have typed my previous reply that well.... blush-anim-cl.gif

smile.gif