Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: bobw on September 13, 2003, 02:37:12 PM
Title: apple store
Post by: bobw on September 13, 2003, 02:37:12 PM
Posting from King of Prussia store on a G5 1.8. Nice machine. My drool is covering the keyboard.
java script:emoticon(':welcome:')
Title: apple store
Post by: Bill on September 13, 2003, 03:06:01 PM
bobw, can you (or will they allow you to) take the side cover and plastic membrane off?
I've found that a large part of the secret on why the G5s are so silent is because of that plastic membrane. Take it off and that 'disturbs' the design structure for the fans flow. Thus they have to kick it up a notch or two (which still is very silent) for compensation. Put the membrane back on .... you can hear a pin drop ... maybe.
Great Job Apple!!!
If you can, you'll see what I mean.
Title: apple store
Post by: Spartacus on September 13, 2003, 03:16:49 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but there is a town called "King of Prussia"?
Title: apple store
Post by: Bill on September 13, 2003, 03:45:02 PM
QUOTE(Spartacus @ Sep 13 2003, 1:16 PM)
Forgive my ignorance, but there is a town called "King of Prussia"?
Glad you brought that up instead of me. >>you're where?<<
Title: apple store
Post by: bobw on September 13, 2003, 04:10:01 PM
Yes, there is a town named King of Prussia. It's west Of Phila, Pa, and a real pain in the a** going there with traffic and construction. The King of Prussia Plaza and Court must be one of the largest malls in the country.
After playing with the G5 1.8 Ghz, then moving over to a G4 1.25 Ghz, I wasn't impressed with the G5. I definitely wouldn't buy one unless they made considerable speed improvements.
Too many people around to open the machine, and not much room. This must be one of Apple's smaller stores, but the machine is extremely quiet.
Title: apple store
Post by: Bill on September 13, 2003, 04:38:15 PM
Funny you said that on the comparisons between the two because I had the opportunity to do the same against a G5/1.6 and a dual G4/1.25 yesterday afternoon at my local mac dealer. The tech there and I did some quick test using iPhoto. I was on the dual across the room while he was on the G5. No where near close to a actuate fair test but hey. Was one of those shouting "done" deals. Plus the dual had more ram. Was hard to tell who got the blue ribbon each time.
Title: apple store
Post by: JohnKentucky on September 14, 2003, 07:30:56 AM
I played with a 1.6 G5 and we took the cover off...it looks awesome! Yeah, it got louder when you took that plastic cover off only because the fans really kicked in when you took it off (and yeah, you disrupted the air flow).
QUOTE
After playing with the G5 1.8 Ghz, then moving over to a G4 1.25 Ghz, I wasn't impressed with the G5. I definitely wouldn't buy one unless they made considerable speed improvements.
I disagree with that statement. Just wait till Panther comes out...and then 64 bit apps/OS are released! Will that dual G4 still compare? hardly...and that 1.6/1.8 will be screaming! I plan on getting a 1.6 sometime...unless at MWNY they do bump up the bottom end one.