Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: kimmer on September 30, 2003, 02:31:09 PM
-
I'm considering buying a piece of software on eBay - the only thing holding me back is that it is the "educational" version.
What is the difference in this between the "regular" version; and if I buy the educational version, can I (a non-educator) upgrade it?
TIA!
kimmer
-
As far as I know educational software are NOT to be sold publicly Kimmer.
For that reason alone ... watch out.
Guess it depends on the software and type of 'puter whether or not it can be installed.
-
It is illegal to use, buy, sell, or upgrade educational software that you didn't purchase as a student.
-
The main differences between educational software and retail are twofold.
First, as stated, only the original purchaser can upgrade as an educator or student. In some cases the software manufacturer doesn't allow upgrades at all, you have to buy the newer ed version.
Second, the software application is usually fully featured and using it would be not different from using retail versions. However, extra plugins, demos, images, templates, tutorials, etc. are often left out. Again it depends on the particular manufacturer as to how much is not included, in fact sometimes it is identical to retail.
I've bought several ed applications as a teacher and all have performed with no features crippled. The only way you know it's an ed version is in the splash screen on some where there is a notation to that effect and a warning that it is only to be used by authorized personnel.
-
Thanks. I missed the auction as I had the flu and slept through the closing - so no money ventured, no software gained.
-
Kimmer.
What I was getting at -"watch out"- was you just might of received a vcr tape of Conan the Barbarian original if you won.
-
Hubby informed me - after the fact - that with his credentials, he qualifies as an educator, so I would have had no problem with the software. Stupid stomach flu that kept me from bidding.
kimmer