Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: nikki on September 30, 2003, 04:57:22 PM
Title: The G5??
Post by: nikki on September 30, 2003, 04:57:22 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone has a G5, and if Sleep works, does it shut the fans and harddrive down,? I was just at LondonDrugs and tried a 1.8 G5 "Nice Machine", but when I put it to sleep the fans were still spining. I think, Kinda noisey in the store. Thanks.
Title: The G5??
Post by: dakota on September 30, 2003, 05:04:05 PM
Have the 1.8 and yes, in sleep the fans and drive are quiet - which is more than I can say for my G4!
Title: The G5??
Post by: giantmike on September 30, 2003, 06:52:06 PM
Have the dual 2GHz here, quieter than quiet in sleep mode. Nuttin's movin'!
I bet it was the fans of other machines that your heard when that one was in sleep mode.
Title: The G5??
Post by: nikki on September 30, 2003, 07:02:16 PM
Thanks for that info, Got a problem with my G4, Today I had a freeze in OSX and I hit the button on the tower and held down the command and s keys and ran fsck -y, and it found alot of problem and it said it couldn't fixit, I ran it again and it fixit it, ran it till it found no problems. Booted up DiskWarrior 3.0 and it found " Critical values in the volume information are incorrect and need to be repaired" and the rest was good. Then I repaired permissions and it found a pile of stuff wrong there. Can someone tell me what DiskWarrior meant,?? Maybe its a sign for a G5
Any info would be great.
Title: The G5??
Post by: giantmike on September 30, 2003, 08:07:54 PM
Yup, it means you must buy a G5 within a week
Seriously, Diskwarrior was probably saying there were errors in the catalog file or leaf node count. If you want technical explanations, I could give them, but then I would have to type alot
As long as you let diskwarrior do its thing, you should be fine.
Title: The G5??
Post by: krissel on October 01, 2003, 12:37:42 AM
QUOTE(nikki @ Sep 30 2003, 5:57 PM)
I was just at LondonDrugs ... when I put it to sleep the fans were still spining.
Um, are you sure it was the fans that were spinning?
Just kidding...
Title: The G5??
Post by: Spartacus on October 01, 2003, 06:11:14 AM
QUOTE(krissel @ Oct 1 2003, 7:37 AM)
Um, are you sure it was the fans that were spinning?
Just kidding...
LOL
I can confirm what Mike said. It's absolutely quite.