Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: MamaMoose on September 30, 2003, 07:52:37 PM

Title: There is a solution to dual G5 beep/buzz problem
Post by: MamaMoose on September 30, 2003, 07:52:37 PM
Today Macfixit (www.macfixit.com) reported a solution to the beeping/buzzing noise problem with the dual G5. This noise is generated when one is apprantly copying large filkes or running both CPUs full bore and is a consequence of processor slewing (I think I have that right but maybe someone more expert than I can state it better).

The solution was first reported by David-James Fernandes and as reported by him via Macfixit, download Apple's CHUD (??) tools from

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/...D_3.0.0.dmg.bin.

After installing, open system preferences, open the "Hardware" pane and turn off "Nap". These are functions apparently found only in the G5. According to Mr. Fernandes and Macfixit.

After installing CHUD, go to System Preferences, open the "Hardware" pane and turn off "Nap". Apparently this option turns off the G5's ability to use processor idling, eliminating the beeping noise.

I understand the noise is really a pain and it's nice to know there is a solution.

MamaMoose
Title: There is a solution to dual G5 beep/buzz problem
Post by: giantmike on September 30, 2003, 08:11:01 PM
I have copied large files, and run the CPUs full bore, but haven't heard this noise. I must be lucky smile.gif
Title: There is a solution to dual G5 beep/buzz problem
Post by: Spartacus on October 01, 2003, 03:13:43 AM
Funny.
I was just about to post about this "problem". smile.gif

It's not like it's loud or a pain or anything, but I was worried this might be serious problem.


Thanks MamaMoose! smile.gif