Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: nikki on October 01, 2003, 02:04:52 PM

Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: nikki on October 01, 2003, 02:04:52 PM
OLD MESSAGE,
Got a problem with my G4, Today I had a freeze in OSX and I hit the button on the tower and held down the command and s keys and ran fsck -y, and it found alot of problem and it said it couldn't fixit, I  ran it again and it fixit it, ran it till it found no problems. Booted up DiskWarrior 3.0 and it found " Critical values in the volume information are incorrect and need to be repaired" and the rest was good. Then I repaired permissions and it found a pile of stuff wrong there.
Can someone tell me what DiskWarrior meant,?? Maybe its a sign for a G5

Any info would be great.
NEW MESSAGE  
Hi,
Just a update about my Errors from DiskWarrior, I Zeroed all data on my harddrive and reinstalled Jaguar from scratch. I backed up my OSX "10.2.8" which may have been the problem, to a different harddrive and just used the Prefs, for my new install, like mail and bookmarks, etc.
Feels like a new machine, very snappy, Question,
When I check the harddrive from OS9 with PlusOptimizer "DiskWarrior" it shows 30% out of order, should I rebuild it,or leave well enough alone.

Thanks

  thumbup.gif
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: pendragon on October 01, 2003, 02:21:39 PM
Nikki, 30% seems like an especially high number to me. If it were my machine, I would go ahead and run the PlusOptimizer. In light of so much being out of order, the process may take a long while, perhaps even an hour or so, but I think it is worth it. And when you are done (if that is to be), Repairing Permissions is recommended.

Opinions differ of course, but that's my 2ยข.

Harv
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: Gary S on October 01, 2003, 02:27:39 PM
I didn't know you could run PlusOptimizer on OSX.2! Does it work with OSX?

30% seems high to me too.
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: pendragon on October 01, 2003, 02:42:54 PM
Gary's point is well taken. I have OS 9 on a separate drive and run PlusOptimizer from there. Alas, I failed to consider that not everyone has this capability. Oh, the shame. oops.gif

Still, Drive 10 should do it (or TTPro 4, whenever it get's released). whistling.gif

Sorry!

Harv
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: ljocampo on October 01, 2003, 04:17:35 PM
PlusOptimizer is compatable only with OS 9 (Alsoft says they are working on a future OS X version). However, Alsoft assures me that PlusOptimizer will work fine defraging OS X disk from OS 9.  30% is server fragmentation in Norton speak, but I hate Norton.  Anyway I would definately boot into OS 9 (if you have it on a different partition) or boot from the CD and Optimize.   biggrin.gif
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: krissel on October 01, 2003, 08:56:27 PM
I'm wondering if that 30 % is an accurate report. How could a drive that has been reformated and only had a system, some prefs and email have that kind of fragmentation?

  huh.gif
Title: A Update from G5 Post
Post by: bil207 on October 01, 2003, 09:09:18 PM
It sounds like Disk Warrior is reporting that 30% of the "Directory" items are out of order which is not all that unusual after a new install of OS 10.2.
I generally rebuild the directory if Disk Warrior reports more than 15% of the items "out of order".