Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Thomas S. England on November 07, 2003, 05:08:54 AM

Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: Thomas S. England on November 07, 2003, 05:08:54 AM
Got a weird situation here. When I click on Accounts in System Preferences, I get the window saying "Loading Accounts" but it will go no further.

Here's how I got here:  I upgraded to Photoshop CS, installation went fine, but CS quits during the launch. I had long discussions with Adobe tech & one thing we were going to try was to create a new account. Couldn't do it.

But I had long ago created a second account, although I had never used it. Still, I was able to log out, then log into that second account & CS works fine for it.

Despite being able to use that second account, if, when System Preferences is stuck on "Loading Accounts" I then click on Show All, my first account appears, but not the second. Even when logged into the second account. Login Options is greyed out.

So there clearly is some problem with the first account, which is admin. But without being able to load it, I'm stumped. Just not at all sure how to proceed from here.

But I need to use Photoshop CS in the first account.

This situation may have been around for quite a while, but this is the first time I've been aware of it.  Done Repair permissions several times during the course of trying to get CS to work.

I need help.
Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: pendragon on November 07, 2003, 07:03:03 AM
Thomas, I have read of cases much like yours (where one User works and another doesn't) and often the problem was resolved by "rebinding". But if, in fact, this is the case at hand, I dunno. Still, it may be worth a try. And it shouldn't hurt (famous last words).

Rebinding can be done by running the highly-rated freeware program Cocktail (10.3 Compliant) http://www.macosxcocktail.com/

HTH

Harv
Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: kps on November 07, 2003, 07:18:38 AM
Have you applied the 10.2.8 patch.
Did you repair permissions after installing Adobe CS.

Is the "fist" account set to auto-login.
Have you tried deleting any preferences and caches.

You could try deleting these:

from: /Users/username/Library/Caches  com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

from: /users/username/Library/Preferences com.apple.loginwindow,plist
Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: Thomas S. England on November 07, 2003, 08:13:05 AM
kps, what 10.2.8 patch?

Cocktail's rebinding & repair permissions has not changed anything.
Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: kps on November 07, 2003, 06:06:18 PM
Thomas, there was an "update" to the update, as the original caused many problems.

Run Software Update and it should download and install it for you.
Title: Can't access my accounts
Post by: Thomas S. England on November 08, 2003, 05:01:40 AM
Oh, that one. Yeah, ran that when it was first available.

Since then as part of my efforts on this problem I have re-installed the combo updater, but without results.