Kelly, if it was the Lite-On 52X24X52, he wouldn't be getting the messages about the drive being unsupported. That drive has been fully supported since 10.6 at least.
From XLR8yourmac (reader report - 10.2.6 on a B&W):
QUOTE
* The Pacific Digital is probably a BTC brand BCE 5224IM drive. I say this because the Pacific Digital website has a notice of a flash upgrade which points to the BTC website.
* To get native iTunes and DiscBurner support, I hacked the BTC BTC BCE1610IM plugin from your website, substituting "CDWRITER" for "BTC" (vendor) and "IDE5224" for "BCE1610IM". I can send you the actual plugin, if that helps.
* After hacking the plugin, ASP shows DiscBurner as "Fully Supported" and I can burn CDROMs at full speed from the Finder. Toast 5.2 also works like a charm at full speed, and iTunes is fully supported.
And here's the link to the hacked plug-in for Pacific Digital 52X24X52
I'm assuming that this plug-in works for 10.2.8 as well as 10.2.6. BTW - it may not work in Panther, should you decide to upgrade your OS at some point. Apparently Panther uses an entirely different method of recognizing drives etc.
And a further note - Toast should let you burn from just about any drive, so you might want to consider investing in that.
Let us know if any of this helps/works!