Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Al on April 23, 2003, 12:47:00 PM

Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Al on April 23, 2003, 12:47:00 PM
Is Safari ready for secure online banking and purchasing yet?

I have not tried any transactions yet because I don't know.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: kps on April 24, 2003, 02:57:00 AM
Same here Al, I use Safari as my "official" browser of choise...but still open IE for banking.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Dreambird on April 24, 2003, 08:38:00 AM
I'd think it should be somewhere in the release/help documentation if a browser is ready with SSL Al... being that it's in beta, maybe it's not.

Personally Opera is supposed to be all secure with SSL and everything but I still prefer to use Netscape for banking... for one thing because I can plainly "see" when it's on a secure site that it's working...
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Al on April 24, 2003, 12:37:00 PM
Okay, thanks kps and Dreambird... Looks like I'll be waiting too for the final product before shopping and banking online with Safari.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Bruce_F on April 24, 2003, 12:47:00 PM
I realize that not all secured sites work the same, but I have been using Safari to access my online bank account with no problem.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Al on April 24, 2003, 01:08:00 PM
Hi Bruce,

Just and FYI, I don't see any type of lock, encryption  or anything with Safari that would indicate if it was secured or switched into SSL mode.  So, I am reluctant to use it until I know for sure.

Does anyone still have the link to Wells Fargo's SSL checker?  I can't find it on their web site.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Al on April 24, 2003, 01:10:00 PM
Found it!

http://www.wellsfargo.com/per/browsertest.jhtml

It says this about Safari....                        

Your browser is: Netscape 5.0

Congratulations!

You can bank online or apply for products using this browser.

Your browser meets Wells Fargo's strict security standards, which employ  some of the strongest encryption available over the Internet.


   , NS5, where'd that come from?
 
 [ 04-24-2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Al ]
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Bruce_F on April 24, 2003, 01:15:00 PM
"Your browser is: Netscape 5.0" (huh?) It's Safari!    

Al, I see the lock in the corner when I visit by online bank account. I have no clue what type of system I'm logging into.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Al on April 24, 2003, 01:53:00 PM
Oh yeah!  Thanks Bruce... I went to an online store that I made a recent purchase and made up a sudo-order and while checking out I saw the lock.  I guess using IE and NS so much I never even noticed the lock way up there in the top right...lol...
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: Bill on April 24, 2003, 02:03:00 PM
From Als link above in Q&As

Can I use a beta browser to access Wells Fargo Online ?
For your protection Wells Fargo does not support beta versions of browsers. Wells Fargo tests new browsers to ensure they operate appropriately in regard to functionality and security. Even if a beta browser meets our security standards, software updates can unknowingly change aspects of how a program operates in regard to security. Therefore, Wells Fargo only supports final versions of browsers.

---

btw,safari read NS 5 here also.
Same with IE 5.2.2.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: tacit on April 25, 2003, 01:56:00 PM
"NS5, where'd that come from?"

From Safari. Or, more correctly, from Safari's "user-agent string."

No Web site can look into your computer and tell what browser you are using. That's not how it works; instead, your browser tells the Web site "Hey, I'm Netscape 4" or "Hey, I'm Explorer 5."

Safari tells Web sites "Hey, I'm Navigator 5." This is so that all the Web sites out there that are not written to work with unidentified browsers will still work.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: sokukodo on April 25, 2003, 02:47:00 PM
I've been using Safari for all my banking/power company/telephone transactions with no problems.
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: pendragon on April 25, 2003, 05:18:00 PM
Tacit, Thanks for the post. I have learned much. Well, OK, some. Still, I think you explained it very well and I do so appreciate it.

I have only been using Safari for a few days, so indeed I was surprised when, after logging in to Charles Schwab, I saw the little Netscape icon preceding the http in the address/url field. Now, I think I understand.

BTW, what is that little icon thingy-gizzy really called? I know we had a discussion on it/them, but without knowing what they are called, my searching has been a bust.

Harv
 
 [ 04-25-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: pendragon ]
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: kelly on April 25, 2003, 07:24:00 PM
Are you asking about Favicons Harv.  

http://www.mfdh.ca/~mfdh/apple/mac_favicon...n_creation.html

I think it's part of Safari Enhancer, but you can choose "User Agent" under

the Debug Menu to see what Browser it's pretending to be.

Mine says "Automatically Chosen".
Title: Safari and SSL?
Post by: pendragon on April 25, 2003, 08:51:00 PM
Favicons, Bingo!  That's it. Thanks Kelly. Somehow favicons is not (yet) in my vocabulary.

Harv