Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: LR827 on April 28, 2003, 11:55:00 PM
-
Installed OS 9.0 on my daughter's old iMac (original turquoise). HP Deskjet 812C printer wouldn't, so I looked for the original installation CD, couldn't find it, downloaded installer from HP website, installed just fine. BUT (and this is a big but): It will only print the "desktop" but no other applications -- not Appleworks, Simple Text, Stickies, AOL mail, nothing.
It DID also print a page from the HP website. I suppose it will print pages from other websites, too -- but it prints so painfully slowly that I don't want to try another web page.
I tried both foreground & background printer options, no difference. It only prints the desktop & a web page. Any ideas???
-
These Drivers?
OS 9 Drivers
Mac OS 9: How to Solve Problems Printing
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50575
-
Thanks, kelly. I downloaded the installer from there because I couldn't find my original CD. I have a feeling therein lies the problem, but I'm not sure at all.
This printer has been working on this iMac since we got it, no problem -- until I installed 9.0.
The help article you cited was good, but it is not a hardware, cable, or memory problem -- at least, it doesn't seem like the latter, because I printed TS's homepage perfectly. It just took an inordinate amount of time.
Why would it print web pages, and the desktop -- but no other application??? Isn't that bizarre??
I am tempted to go back to 8.6 again, but I'm afraid, without the origianl HP printer CD, it won't help. Any other thoughts?
-
Go shopping.
-
Lorraine...
Have you tried THESE ?
I'd try the "HP Deskjet Installer" after uninstalling the ones on there now.
I'd update to 9.1.
If you've already tried this...nevermind.
I love HP printers (or any HP periferal).
-
I don't mean to alarm you, but because you ARE able to print "something" it sounds more like an OS issue rather than a printer/driver issue.
My memory is rather weak with OS 9 these days, but check preference and control panels for some obscure check box that may be causing this. AppleTalk pref or something...hopefully someone will jump in here with a better answer.
[ 04-29-2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: kps ]
-
snuffy, that is the same installer I downloaded to begin with, and kelly also pointed out. But I have re-downloaded it, just it case the first one got corrupted. After work today, I'll try the printer again, and see if that was the problem.
I tend to think OS, too, because of the fact that it will print web pages, etc. I checked to be sure that Apple Talk was off -- but that would have disallowed any printing, I think.
I have been unable to download the 9.1 and 9.2 upgrades (still on dial-up), so I bought the CD's on eBay ($6. for both). I'll let you know if that helps.
Thanks, kps, and everyone who is helping! (except Gregg, but I think I'll take his advice in the end!!!)
-
Lorraine -
<rant>
Not the same printer, but an HP no less.
Blueberry iMac 350
128MB
OS 9.2.1
HP Deskjet 3320
I installed this printer after purchasing one for the office, thinking, well, I'd give HP a shot.
Won't make that mistake again (sorry all you HP faithful)
The printer was grabbing system resources in excess of 85MB when printing an Excel file (very small, single worksheet) and could not print after finishing a print job on ONE file.
IAWkps, it may likely be due to an OS issue. Since Classic isn't able to manage memory like X, once the file had grabbed the memory chunk it needed, it apparently wasn't being "re-recognized" as free space, which, if memory serves, is a major flaw of both MacOS and Windows memory management. The file may have left temp memory and finder saw it as "released" (to the OS I guess).
Every time I sent a job, the file would hit the desktop spool and I would watch the system resources grow from approx 35MB to 85+MB.
Hooked up a Lexmark Z45 to that same box, installed the drivers, and the issue is non-existent.
I'm sure Tacit will chime in here and crush my logic to smithereens whilst analyzing the real problem, so hey, take it for what it's worth to you (which is probably less than my $.02)
Take care.
</rant>
Chris
[ 04-29-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: cdub1988 ]
-
I asked HP on their website about the problem. They said I need to install THIS.
But first, they said to un-install my printer software. Now, I'm (1) not sure how to un-install it -- Can I just move it into the Extensions Disabled file? or (2) not sure if this isn't the same upgrade I already installed -- but they would certainly know that, right?
I'll install their download, but I need to find out how to un-install the printer that is there. Anybody?
-
Lorraine,
I have an HP Deskjet 932C and my driver is "hp deskjet v4.13".
i have OS9.1 on this Beige G3.
I would disable that extension and remove the prefs
"hp deskjet preferences" from the System Preferences folder. Put the prefs in a folder on your Desktop or something.
The only other thing it installs is hp deskjet utility, located in the HP deskjet Utilities folder.
Then I'd reinstall the drivers.
I hope this helps.
BTW, I haven't had any problems printing with my HP.
[ 04-30-2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Gary S ]
-
Great to hear it works for you both.
I just couldn't justify using that 3320 the way it operated.
It could VERY WELL have been specific to THAT print driver.
Didn't mean to bash HP, especially given the faithful here, course, I've always been an Epson kinda guy........
Take care.
Chris
-
quote:
Originally posted by cdub1988:
Didn't mean to bash HP, especially given the faithful here, course, I've always been an Epson kinda guy........
Chris
Just bought a new Epson 836XL 12 x 17 scanner and have a Siig SCSI card for my QuickSilver. Can't wait to get it.
-
quote:
Just bought a new Epson 836XL 12 x 17 scanner and have a Siig SCSI card for my QuickSilver. Can't wait to get it.
NICE, snuffy.
That's a bit of space to use.
Should be able to accommodate most forms with that one, huh? (including hand-rendered drawings, yes?)
Take care.
Chris
-
Thanks, Gary. I'll try that -- maybe that's why it isn't working, because I didn't "uninstall" first.
My son has been performing in a high school production of "Oklahoma!" this week, through tomorrow night. What a thrill!
He'll be in one of the starring ("suitor") roles in an upcoming Glenview Theatre Guild production of "Kiss me, Kate". These productions are incredibly professional, and it is such a joy to watch future stars.
The GTG production includes adults, too, but will be held at Glenbrook South High School, June 20-28. That is at the intersection of Pfingsten and Lake Avenues in Glenview, Illinois. (847) 724-5670.
-
Sorry about the OT plug for "Kiss Me, Kate" back there. It is such a kick to watch my son in "Oklahoma" (last show last night) that I couldn't get it off my mind.
Okay, I tried the steps Gary recommended to un-install my printer first, then reinstall the new driver -- still no luck. But, I only have 9.0, not 9.1 on the iMac. I have sent away for the CD's to install 9.1 and 9.2 (couldn't download them, took too long, kept failing).
Once I install 9.1 and 9.2, maybe it will work.
I also saw a message from kelly on another string ("9.1 Printer Problem") recommending disabling the ATM extension. But the link he noted only took me back to the same download for the HP printer driver that I already downloaded (several times).
Any other recommendations, otherwise, I'll just wait for my 9.0-upgrade CD's to arrive.