Archives > 2009

Just noticed something different . . .

<< < (2/4) > >>

Xairbusdriver:
item: anything smaller than a volume/partition/planet/asteroid

You don't suppose Apple made the OS smart enough to know that 'volumes' will often be way to big to simply move? And they will have thousands of paths pointing to where they were originally and just modifying/updating them would take several days...Nah, their just the exception to my rules!

Still waiting to get a report about what happens with a different account. The behavior reported by beacher is not standard.

Paddy:
Just tried a couple of different things (10.5.8, BTW)

Dragged dropped an application from one HD to another - it was copied. All 374MB.
Dragged and dropped a .dmg  - it was copied.

Trying to drag a volume (boot volume or another volume) onto another volume in the Finder doesn't work - all I can do is change the order.

All of the above were in list view, if that makes any difference.

So...not sure about your theories, there Kris, unless you did something different.

And certainly Beacher's experience is NOT the norm.

krissel:
ON the desktop:  Drag and drop the opened icon from a dmg (not the dmg itself) and you will get an alias. In fact all you have to do is hold the icon while dragging over the other icon and you will see the curved arrow appear to indicate that indeed it is going to create an alias.

I can't take a screen shot of the action because holding down the Command key will make it copy like the Option key. I tried using the timed feature of SnapNDrag but the little arrow (or plus sign) won't show in the shot.

Apple assumes you don't want to copy these things but rather create an alias. Yes, dragging a single jpeg from one volume to another should make a copy but the blanket statements about never getting an alias aren't true.

Paddy:
OK - have now tried the drag and drop of the .dmg icon again on the desktop and yes, it does create an alias. The reason it doesn't work in list view (I must have dragged an unopened .dmg!) is that the .dmg files do NOT show up in list view once they're open, which I wasn't aware of, having never tried to install anything from list view! Learn something new every day.

As for the .jpg creating an alias when dragged and dropped to a new volume, though - that's just weird and definitely not what is supposed to happen. Same with any drag and drop installations of applications.

Xairbusdriver:
A ".dmg" once opened is a "Volume." See my definition of "item." I rest my case, book and argument. However, are you saying that the actual ".dmg" file that was created/downloaded will not transfer?

QUOTEAs for the .jpg creating an alias when dragged and dropped to a new volume, though - that's just weird and definitely not what is supposed to happen. Same with any drag and drop installations of applications.The one I created and dragged to another volume simply pointed back to the original file, which is all an alias is supposed to do, correct? And it does have the little curved arrow. Now, the two views I looked at were Column and Icon. Let me look at List and see if there is a difference...
...nope, same alias icon. But I don't think that had anything to do with the "weirdness."

I suspect our/my problem is attempting to use "logic" in determining what will "always" happen! Apple, in their wisdom, doesn't "always" do everything "logically!" I still remember objections to dragging an Volume/disk to the trash to eject it and yet not actually destroying it!

Some of these 'quirks' are labeled Easter Eggs. Some are just downright confusing, like different reactions when clicking an icon on a Finder window that is not active, depending on whether the window is in Icon or List/Column view...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version