Author Topic: wich password..?  (Read 115 times)

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
wich password..?
« on: August 16, 2024, 04:27:44 AM »
Hi,
Just try to install a new sotware for my GPS on my Mac ..demanding password, is it the apple password or the  GPS password ...?  :Thinking:
Thanks
GR

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: wich password..?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 06:44:49 AM »
If your Mac is asking for a password to install the software, it is the Apple (Administrator) password.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 09:56:35 AM »
A bit disoriented whit all thoses passwords... :confused:
the Apple (Administrator) password...., is the same as icloud,itunes,...can't find it ,is there a way to know  it..?? :thanx:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2024, 04:04:02 PM »
The adm. password is the one that you use to log into your account, assuming that you are the owner of the computer (at least as far as the computer knows). If you have forgotten that password, I don't know how to retrieve it, but someone else may be able to chime in.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 09:07:21 AM »
Me thinks you are making too much of the "Have-A-String-Password-Or-All-Your-Info-Will-Be-Stolen" syndrome. :yes:

You really only need two passwords:
1. For your device (iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc., etc.)
2. For your password manager (1Password, LastPass, even Keychain)

First, I assume you have your device setup to require your password at every start up (or even Sleep). If not, why not? Do not have automatic logon enabled without much consideration (main user is an elderly person, etc.).

Second never use "Apple" in conjunction with the name of the password for your apple devices. In other words, don't think of the password for your Mac as an "Apple password". It is simply your "Mac Password", etc. It is not an "Apple" password. Apple has no idea what that password is nor do they have it stored anywhere in the world. It is simply needed to prevent a thief, nosey neighbor, wayward child, etc. from turning on your Mac (iPhone, ...).

Third, unless you live in a high crime area AND your device is brand new AND/OR you have important government data on it, your favorite/first pet's name should be fine. Perhaps throw in some numbers like the year your significant other was born. Something like "19Algon49quin!".

Fourth, iTines, App Store, ApplePay, AppleID and other resources controlled by Apple, require an "Apple ID". It uses the email address with ".mac", ".me", "icloud.com" or whatever was used when you bought your first Apple device. It is used to edit you info at Apple. It is simply another password email combination like every other email/password pair used at almost every site/company/etc.. That is the only "Apple Password" you have. It is completely separate from any device's password and is not needed to run any of them.

Fifth, write down at least these two passwords and "hide" them in your freezer! After a few trips to your freezer, you will have committed these two passwords to memory. :Thinking: :thumbup: :clap: Now your only worry about passwords will be praying that no one steals both your Apple device AND your refrigerator! :laughhard:

Lastly (I thought we'd never get here!), buy a dependable password manager, learn how to use it and use it religiously. I use 1Password to store all my passwords and hundreds of other important data, including refrigerator repair services. :coolio:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: