Author Topic: Not apfs..?  (Read 58 times)

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
Not apfs..?
« on: October 14, 2024, 10:35:51 AM »
As Krissel suggest...

Bought a Mojave install  on usb key...to have a clean system...
The problem is, trying to install on my MACBOOK i…. ,  impossible not  apfs..!.? ...what should i do to install,  keeping all my files.?? :Thinking:
Thanks

GR

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Not apfs..?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2024, 01:56:47 AM »
The newer OS requires an APFS file system on the main drive of the computer if SSD but does not make it mandatory for an external. What I would suggest is getting an external SSD and installing Mohave through the MBP onto the new external. You can avoid having to make the external APFS. Once installed, boot to the external and use the Mac to move info/data from the MBP to the external as if you were moving to a new computer. After that is done, test everything and if OK, erase the MBP and clone the external to the MBP.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is a relatively "easy" way to avoid having to make your MBP have an APFS system. It's not that having APFS is bad but you could have problems with compatibility with other drives, etc. I don't know the extent of your computer hardware and what programs or files you need to access. Keeping the MBP non APFS should keep things compatible though according the some, may not be as efficient as the new file system.

In any case, I would invest in two externals and clone your present system to one before you do anything so you do have a backup should anything go wrong. If all works out, then clone the new setup to the extra drive. My advice is "you never have too many backups."  :D

Suggest you look up articles on APFS vs MacOS extended to get an idea of the possible problems.

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2024, 12:45:50 PM »
Obliged to bring back the macbook to  the seller of all my mbp...(a very smart guy ..)  don't boot anymore...! :verysad:
He says it  was a bug in the mother board... ? it's now booting ok ,he changed many things whith preferences and now  everything's fine  :yes:  He proposed me to not go whith APFS...so as you said ...i made two backups ... :eusa_dance:
 :thanx:  krissel

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2024, 02:03:26 AM »
 :thumbup:

If he didn't replace any physical parts, he probably did one or more of the following resets:

https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

I recently did a SMC reset on my sister's MBP and solved a recurring flash problem. Worth trying if you encounter any future issues.

A Techsurvivors founder