Author Topic: Just tell me what to buy please!  (Read 434 times)

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
Just tell me what to buy please!
« on: June 15, 2024, 08:27:15 PM »
Hi, it's been awhile... for those who sorta remember me, it's been a bit of a ride---Covid, a fall & breaking 5 bones in my foot,  a-fib, hospitals and the E.R., plumbing issues, inability to get on this site reliably, a very old desktop iMac and an old little cell phone etc ...just life & the aging process.

What are your recommendations for a nice simple no frills iMac desktop computer that won't be too challenging to me, and where to purchase it?  Thanks!

I'm still not sure about my ability to get on this site as the latest posts show May 2024 and it's June.   :no2:
Thanks!!!
Smiles,
Sooz
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Just tell me what to buy please!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 10:03:31 PM »
First, WELCOME BACK!! :thumbup: :clap: :eusa_dance:

Only a few folks still around here, that's why so few "Tech" posts. So you'll likely not get a lot of responses to your question.

The first two questions, when considering a new computer are;
    What will you be doing with it?
    What apps will you be using?

Remember that many of the apps you are using will need to be updated.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 12:47:45 AM »
Hi Jim & thanks for the welcome back!  I'm glad you're still here!

Ok,  so to answer one of your questions...
1. What will I be doing with it?
Mostly online stuff, like email and going to sites on the internet like my fave cooking and recipe forums.
I use MS Word a lot.
I don't use it for games and I don't do facebook.

I'll have to get back to you for question #2 because I'm not in front of my computer and I do want to list the apps. 

Thanks again for the warm welcome back! :clap:

Where have some of the regulars gone, is there a new & different site ?

Smiles,
Sooz
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 05:15:25 AM »
Hi Sooz! Good to hear from you.

This is the same TS you know and love, no new site elsewhere. Since computers (Macs anyway) have become so easy to use there aren't a lot of people coming here anymore. Also there are many other places to find answers so we aren't as necessary as we once were. Many of the regulars have also gone on to other places "in the cloud" so to speak.

As for MS Word, I believe it is by subscription now. Don't know what version of the program you are using now. Have you tried Pages? I find it suitable for most purposes and of course comes free for Macs.

You probably just need a very basic unit since you won't be doing a lot of graphics. When you get to the point of deciding which model, I'd suggest checking out the refurbs directly from Apple if you want to save a little $. Otherwise there are several online places that sell relatively recent new iMacs at good prices. Here's a sampling of what's on offer:

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/imac-
deals/#:~:text=In%20this%20guide%2C%20you'll,is%20now%20integrated%20with%20TigerDirect).

https://www.macworld.com/article/672803/best-imac-deals.html#

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 06:16:31 AM »
The problem with buying an older, used computer, is that it will, in a few years, be unable to use a new OS. That happened to me with my 2014 iMac, which cannot go beyond OS 11 (OS 15 will be released in a few months). Also, I cannot update the newer versions of Photoshop and Bridge, not to mention Microsoft Office (I use Word a lot, preferring it to Pages). The older the computer, the sooner it will not be able to be updated. Much as I like my iMac, I will be forced to replace it.

You can often find good sales at BH PhotoVideo and and Adorama. Personally, I would look for a refurb from Apple (my iMac is a refurb and it has not had any problems). Look for notices of sales at Apple Insider.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 04:58:36 PM »
Hi, Krissel and Jon!  Glad to see two more familiar 'faces' ...

I tried Pages years ago and just wasn't fond of it although it's still somewhere on my little iMac desktop.
I'm using MS Word for Mac, v. 14.7.2
I also use iPhoto v. 1.5
The other things I use:
Preview
Calendar
Calculator
QT Player
Firefox
Safari
Super Duper and Time Machine (I'm trusting that these work quietly in the background  :blink:)
Adobe Reader 8
iTunes (sometimes)
Photo Booth (sometimes)

Yuppers, I do just need a very basic computer, and thanks for the links and helpful input!

Hooray to touch base again!!!   :yahoo:
Smiles,
Sooz

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 06:08:29 PM »
First the easy news:
You won't need Adobe Reader. As a matter of fact, I can't remember ever needing it, at least since Preview has been around. ".pdf" type files automatically open in Preview and you can add text blocks and several other effects (highlighting/underlines/boxes/signatures/images/redactions/etc.).

BTW, you won't need Adobe Acrobat either. You can create a PDF, of practically any document by simply selecting "Save/Print to PDF" in any Apple Print dialog.

All those other apps, except FireFox and iTunes, included with the OS.
   The latest version FireFox is easily downloaded.
   iTunes was replaced several OS versions ago by "Music".

All your Apple apps will be the latest versions, of course. Using most of them will probably be a major shock! You likely will not recognize what you see. There are no longer any "Preferences"; they are replaced by "Settings" (the result of Microsoft invading Apple :eek:).

As jchuzi mentioned, Word is pretty much buried in corporate greed. I never installed it on my computers, always used Pages. My wife "uses" Word and it is always a "learning experience" and a Google search when she forgets how to do the simplest thing. I try to plan on doing errands (out-of-state!) or re-install all my neighbors landscaping when I know she will be using Word. :wallbash: Back in Oct 2019 I created a 62-page (31 double-sided), 2-column, 50th HS graduation "Memory Book" with Pages. It includes yearbook pictures as well as current images of each person, if available. Text/paragraphs wrap around the image(s) and between columns and pages. I can't image trying to create anything in word as intuitively as it is done in Pages. :Thinking: :clap:

As for hardware, I would recommend a Mac mini with as large a monitor as you can justify. You will save money and desk space.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 01:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the updated info, Jim.   I'm glad your endeavor worked out well with your Memory Book, and thanks for the laugh about your activities that keep you busy when your wife uses Word. 

A Mac mini with as big a screen as I can get ?? and I'm so unfamiliar with that (I don't think you're very surprised at that because you know me and how I am with technology!)  :laughhard:

I have my homework cut out for me, following all the links and reading and such.

Thanks again all of you! If you can spare a good thought or prayer for me, it would be much appreciated. :)
Smiles,
Sooz

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 06:34:24 AM »
While the Mac Mini is a good idea, my suggestion is to get the base model iMac but the second one because it has better connectivity. The cheapest lacks an ethernet connection and you might want that for your modem. It's all-in-one and will save space on your desktop. Still, you can compare all models at this Apple page.
The base models have adequate RAM for your needs but you should see how much space your current hard drive is using before opting for the base model's 256 GB. Bear in mind that you will not be able to upgrade the innards, so you're stuck with whatever Apple provides. As always, you get what you pay for.

In case you don't know how to check the hard drive, do the following:

1. Click the Macintosh HD Icon (on the desktop) once to select it.
2. Go to the File menu and click Get Info.
3. You will see a window that has all the information that you need.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 09:44:14 AM by jchuzi »
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P700, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 07:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the detailed input and (Jon, you know me well!!) the step by step link for how to check the hard drive!
Smiles,
Sooz

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 10:34:26 AM »
You will want to transfer data from your old computer to whatever new computer you get. The connections will probably require an adapter or two because the new computer may not have the USB or Thunderbolt connection that your old computer has. This is not an impossible task, most likely requiring (for example) a USB A cable connected to the old computer, an adapter that can plug into the newer, USB C port on the new computer, and possibly a suitable Thunderbolt adapter (if your old computer has Thunderbolt). It should also be possible to migrate data from old to new via Ethernet.

If you are not sure about the connections on your old computer, do the following:

1. Click the Apple menu (the Apple logo) at the upper left of your screen and select About This Mac.
2. On my system, I would click System Report but yours may say More Info.
3. You will see, under Hardware, all the connections that the computer has. Clicking any one of them will reveal any external devices that you have attached.

I apologize for all this confusion but you don't want any nasty surprises. If you order from Apple or a reliable retailer like BH or Adorama, they should be able to walk you through exactly what you need.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 11:15:15 AM by jchuzi »
Jon

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks, Jon, much appreciated! I have a new medical issue going on as of yesterday so my purchase of a new computer is likely to be delayed. :no2:
Smiles,
Sooz

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2024, 10:28:38 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your medical issue. Please accept my best wishes for a prompt and healthy resolution. 
Jon

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2024, 11:27:27 AM »
Thanks, Jon!