Gary, I'm part way through updating and installing myself (another post for that very different experience) but I'd suggest that you do the following:
Start up from your OS disk and run Disk Utility. Erase your drive, repartition and run verify disk. Repair any problems. Then try installing again. I just had the experience of Jag quitting early on in the installation process. I restarted and found the partition I was attempting to install onto was grayed out. Great. So, I tried running disk utility, which reported some errors, fixed them, but still left the partition grayed out. So, I did as I'm suggesting to you - started over again. This time - no problem.
If that fails, then do you have a version of 9 on an install disk that will boot this Mac? If so, I'd use it to do the erase, and partition bit and then install 9. Upgrade to 9.2.2 and then install X.