Author Topic: selection..??  (Read 266 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: selection..??
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2024, 04:03:57 PM »
ADSR, the screenshot you are sending is of your System prefs.

I am asking you to send a screenshot of some “Selected text” while using some app that is displaying some text you have entered. You could use TextEdit, Word, Pages, Preview or any other app you want.

What I want to see is some text you have highlighted in one kind of document, not anything in System Prefs.

:D
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2024, 04:19:27 PM »
I don't understand why you want me to send a text ...? when i selected a phrase in it you can see nothing about the selection ...only the same text :confused:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2024, 05:55:36 PM »
I need you to send me a screenshot of some selected text. An image (screenshot) of some selected text . Below is a screenshot of some text I selected in Preview ["She could make"]. Note that it includes some UN-selected text above, below and to either side of the selected text. That is an example of what I am asking you to do. Please review the three steps I posted in my Reply #10.

I'll check for your reply Monday? :dntknw:

Thanks  :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 06:01:29 PM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2024, 09:22:11 AM »
As you ask me...send you a teach text of your mail..made a selection , but as is not visible, i don't know what you can do whith it ??
Anyway , thanks fo your help!!

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2024, 10:59:19 AM »
In your posts #9 and #13 you sent us a screenshot, so I know you know how to do that. A screenshot is an image that you can attach to a Reply here at TS. By default, any attached image in a post appears below any text you write in a post. So...

1. Open an app that allows you to enter text.
2.a. Type several lines of text in that app.
2.b. Alternatively, just open a document that includes some text.
3. Select a word or two of that just written text.
4. Make a screenshot (image) of the area of your screen that includes the selected text and a few words on either side of the text. [Shift + Command + 4]
5. Attach that image(s) in a Reply.

We don't need an "rtf", "doc", "txt", etc. file. Those are not images. We are waiting to actuall see what you are seeing on your screen in an app that displays text. The actual words are irrelavant, they don't even need to be in any particular language. We are not interested in your writing. We want to see an image of what you see on your screen. In other words, a "screenshot". :Look:

I've attached a four images using different highlight colors as examples.

Please make a similar change in your System Prefs and then perform the 5 steps above.

Thanks!  :sos:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 02:09:50 PM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2024, 02:12:58 PM »
Haven't seen a Reply from ADSR since last Monday. Hope he's just busy with life/work/vacation. Otherwise, it would be considerate to let us know if his problem has been fixed or not. :dntknw:

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2024, 11:42:19 PM »
Not sure, but I think his taking a screenshot won't make any difference cause if the highlighting truly isn't working, then no color will show and it will just look like the regular text. That's the reason he is so frustrated.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to his problem other than perhaps doing a reinstall of the OS. Pretty drastic solution, but might work.

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2024, 08:18:01 AM »
Quote from: Ktiss
his taking a screenshot won't make any difference cause if the highlighting truly isn't working, then no color will show
That's a problem with the System screenshot function, if you use command + Shift + 4. While is does show a selection, it is normally light grey. However, using command + shift + 3 gives you a screen shot that includes selection highlighting. Granted, cropping out 97% of that image takes just a bit of work, I think it would be worth trying to make a reply. I think even Mojave macOS 10.14 had a "Screenshots" display with descriptions of what each keyboard shortcuts do. And there are so many free/cheap screen capture apps out there, why bother with OS limitations? :dntknw:

Actually, I suspect his problem may be related to his contrast, saturation settings. Likewise, when you pick a different color "dot", a white dot appears in the center of that choice. Is that white center what is confusing him? :dntknw:

I don't mind if he found another solution from some place else. We(I) might just learn something. :toothgrin:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 08:32:02 AM by Xairbusdriver »